What Are the Best Places to Visit in Bath, Somerset?
Things to do in Bath that are great
The Thermae Baths
The Thermae Baths were built in the 18th century.
The English city of Bath’s Thermae Bath Spa, which reopened in 2006, is a mix of the old spa and a new building.
The Bath and North East Somerset council owns the buildings, and a Royal Charter from 1590 says that they are in charge of the spring waters, which are the only ones in the UK that are naturally hot and full of minerals.
The Spa is run by YTL Hotels. The main spa building, called the New Royal Bath, was made by Grimshaw Architects.
It’s made of Bath stone, and the shell is made of glass. It has two natural thermal baths, an outdoor rooftop pool, an indoor pool, and a large Wellness Suite with two fragrant steam rooms, an Ice Chamber, an Infrared Sauna, and a Celestial Relaxation Room. It also has a cafe, three places to relax, and 27 spa treatment rooms, including the Hot Bath, which dates back to the 18th century and is used for water-based massages like Watsu.
The Cross Bath is a separate Georgian building on the Grade I list that has a thermal bath that is open to the air.
The Jane Austin Centre.
At 40 Gay Street in Bath, Somerset, England, there is a permanent exhibit called the Jane Austen Centre. It tells the story of Jane Austen’s time in Bath and how going there and living there changed her and her writing. The building is part of a block that English Heritage has designated as a Grade II listed building.
The Roman Baths.
The Roman Baths is one of the best places to learn about history in Northern Europe. It is also one of the most visited places in the UK. The stone remains of one of the best religious spas in the ancient world are buried under the city of Bath.
While the ancient Romans are credited for having established Bath’s ancient hot springs as a place of relaxation and rejuvenation, legend has it their healing powers were discovered some 500 years earlier by a British king.
But it was the Romans who left their mark, building the city’s famous Roman Baths and Temple of Sulis Minerva in 75 BCE around the largest of the city’s three hot springs. It’s not hard to see why: the water has 43 different minerals, comes up from a depth of nearly 10,000 feet at a rate of 275,000 gallons a day, and stays at a constant 46.5 degrees Celsius. The Roman Baths and Temple were voted Britain’s most romantic buildings. They are some of the best examples of Roman architecture still standing in England and get more than 1.3 million visitors each year. Many of the artefacts found during archaeological digs, like altar stones and beautiful mosaics, are on display in the museum or around the Great Bath.
The Bath Abbey
Bishop King started building this church in 1499. It is England’s last great mediaeval church. It was closed in 1539 and is now a parish church. The Gothic cathedral of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, traditionally referred to as the Bath Abbey, was founded in 1499. Legend has it that it was built because Bishop Oliver King had a dream in which angels climbed ladders to and from heaven. A voice also told him, “The crown should plant an olive tree, and the king should fix up the church.”
The dream was carved into stone on the west side of the building. It was seen as a sign to rebuild the church, which Christians had been using as a place of worship since 757 CE.
The Pulteney Bridge
This beautiful 18th-century bridge is one of the most loved buildings in Bath. It is one of only three bridges in the world with shops on both sides.
Pulteney Bridge is one of the most well-known buildings in Bath. It is one of only a few bridges that still have buildings on top of them. It was finished in 1774 to connect central Bath to undeveloped land on the other side of the River Avon. It is thought to be one of the most famous bridges in the world, and it was even the main setting for the movie version of Les Misérables.
Three arches hold up a variety of cute little shops and restaurants, and the bridge leads to Great Pulteney Street, which has beautiful Georgian-style homes.
Designed by John Wood II (1767-75), the Royal Crescent is comprised of thirty houses, shaped like a half-Colosseum, which uses a gigantic series of Ionic columns on high bases.
This huge half-circle of townhouses is famous for how uniform and like a palace it looks from the front. Most of the homes on the crescent are still privately owned, but No.1 Royal Crescent is open to the public and gives a rare look at how the rich and their not-so-rich servants lived in the 1770s.
The Bath Fashion Museum
The Fashion Museum Bath has one of the best collections of old and new clothes in any museum in the world. After looking at Bath’s beautiful buildings, you’ll probably want to know more about the styles and fashions that the people who lived in them would have worn. The Fashion Museum is in the beautiful Assembly Rooms. It has a world-class collection of modern and historical clothing, including 150 dressed figures and more than 30,000 original pieces from the late 1600s to today.
The museum opened in 1963, and its displays include men’s and women’s clothes, day and evening wear, and modern alternative fashion.
There is a unique “dress of the year” collection of dresses from the best-known dressmakers and designers. Since the museum opened, one new dress has been added each year to this collection. MaryQuant, Giorgio Armani, and Ralph Lauren are all well-known brands that show this.
The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
The Herschel Museum of Astronomy is a place for learning about space.
Adult visitors can now take a brand-new audio tour that brings the house to life with stories about how the Herschel family lived and worked in Bath and how they contributed to science and music while they were at 19 New King Street. Also new for 2021 is an audio-visual guide for kids. Meet Caroline Herschel as she shows you around her house and encourages you to make your own discoveries as you look at the house and collections. William Herschel, an astronomer and musician, and his sister Caroline lived at 19 New King Street. The house is now a museum dedicated to their work in music and astronomy.
The astronomy sessions take place outside Herschel’s workshop in a beautiful formal garden from the 18th century. Herschel uses a telescope he made himself to look at the sky. 19 New King Street is a charming and one-of-a-kind small Georgian townhouse that has been completely fixed up. William Herschel, an astronomer and musician, and his sister Caroline lived there. Herschel’s workshop, his music room, and a charming formal garden from the 18th century are especially memorable. In 1781, Herschel found the planet Uranus using a telescope he made himself.
Royal Victoria Park
Opened in 1830, Royal Victoria Park is a visual delight with shady tree-lined avenues and towering mature trees encompassing botanical and woodland gardens. The Botanical Gardens were started in 1887 and are one of the best parts of Royal Victoria Park. They cover nine acres and have many beautiful trees, shrubs, a fine herbaceous border, a rock garden and pool, a scented walk, a collection of old shrub roses, and a replica of a Roman Temple.
The walkways, which wind in and out of the planted areas, are full of colour and interest, and birds, insects, butterflies, and other animals are always around.
A small stream flows over rocks and under small bridges, and there is a large pond with a moorhen house and lots of fish in it. There are many benches all over the area where you can sit and get away from the noise of the city centre.
In 1987, to celebrate the park’s 100th anniversary, the gardens were expanded to include the Great Dell, an old quarry that used to be part of the park and already had a very nice collection of conifers. It has since been developed into a beautiful woodland garden with an aerial walkway, which provides a series of breathtaking viewpoints amongst the trees and right across Royal Victoria Park.
Prior Park Landscape Gardens.
A beautiful 18th-century landscape garden featuring the Palladian Bridge, which is magically sited on a scenic lake with sweeping views of the city of Bath.
Prior Park Landscape Garden is a beautiful, small landscape garden in Bath that was built in the 18th century and has beautiful views of the city. In 2022, an important project to fix up its old dams will be finished.
At Prior Park, you can walk across one of only four Palladian bridges in the world with this design. This bridge was built in the 18th century by a local businessman named Ralph Allen, with help from ‘Capability’ Brown and the poet Alexander Pope.
The historic dams at Prior Park have just been fixed up in a big way. These dams were built in the middle of the 1700s, but time and the destructive American signal crayfish have worn them down to the point where they need major and expert repairs.
Now that the building part of the project is done, people can once again see the Palladian Bridge reflected in the middle lake, which has been empty since 2017. During the project the dams were strengthened, the lakes refilled, paths reinstated, and a small cascade is working once again – a long-lost original feature.
In the fall, the last step of the project will be to plant more than 4,000 shrubs.
During school breaks, there are things for families to do in the garden. The Tea Shed is open for refreshments every weekend and on some days during the school holidays. Check the website for the most up-to-date information.
Set in a wide valley above Bath, visitors can enjoy great views and are just a stone’s throw from the Bath Skyline, a six-mile circular path with beautiful woods and meadows, an Iron Age hill fort, Roman settlements, 18th-century follies, and spectacular views.
Little Solisbury Hill
The Battle of Mt. Badon, which King Arthur won, is thought to have happened on this high hill that looks out over beautiful Bath.
During the early Iron Age, between 300 BC and 100 BC, Solsbury Hill was used as a hill fort. It was one of the most southern forts in the Cotswolds. During this time, people used wood, wattle and daub to build huts. A 20-foot-wide wall was built around the settlement, with dry stone walls on either side. People used to say that Bladud, the legendary king of the Britons, had a temple on the top, and that the visible remains were from a Saxon fort that was used in the siege of Bath in 577 AD. Archaeological digs, on the other hand, show that the site was used from about 500 BC to 100 BC, and there were up to 30 huts there at any given time. The huts may have been burned down, and the rest of the settlement may have been destroyed and left.
In later times, the Battle of Badon, fought between the Saxons and the British around the year 496 AD, may have happened on Little Solsbury Hill. On the top of the hill, there are also signs of field systems from the Middle Ages.
The land has been used for farming in the past. Barley was grown on the summit at the end of the eighteenth century and the hill was still under cultivation well into the nineteenth century.
The top plateaux belong to the National Trust because the Hicks family gave them to them for free in 1930.
University of Bath
The University of Bath may trace its roots to the Merchant Venturers’ Technical College, founded in 1595. Alumni include Paul Dirac and Peter Higgs. Bath’s pharmacy school established in 1907. 1929: Founded Technical College.
Bristol College of Technology became Bristol College of Science and Technology in 1960. Former Muller’s Orphanage in Ashley Down, Bristol, now houses the college.
Robbins Committee recommendations led to Bath University of Technology’s 1963 founding.
Kings Weston House in Bristol was briefly considered, but the city couldn’t provide a large enough site. Following discussions between the College Principal and the Bath Director of Education, a greenfield property overlooking the city was purchased from the Candy family of Norwood Farm.
1965 saw the completion of 4 South, and 1966 saw the Royal Charter. 1966’s first degree ceremony was held at Bath’s Assembly Rooms. The campus grew the following decade.
Mid-19th-century designs called for a college.
The university emblem features a Roman Gorgon’s head sculpture.
For a 140-acre (57-hectare) tract of land, the institution pays a peppercorn.
Until 30 October 2012, it was a 1994 Group member.
On 20 November 2017, the HEFC published a study on university governance.
Claverton Down is 1.5 miles from Bath. In 15 minutes, you can walk the entire site. The Parade’s raised centre highway separates car and foot traffic. Student towers lined the parade’s centre street. Plans were followed.
The Library is open 24/7 and has computers, books, and journals. The promenade has restaurants, pubs, fast-food cafés, two banks, a union store, two small supermarkets, and academic blocks. Distance and location determine building names (e.g. 1 East, 2 East). The procession route is opposite even-numbered buildings.
Modernist plate glass universities were built using concrete, but critics said they lacked the charm of Victorian red-brick universities or old and mediaeval ones. Bath’s campus contrasts with its Georgian architecture.
2003 expansion of 1992’s Sports Training Village.
North of the university are Brendon Court, Eastwood, Marlborough Court, Solsbury Court, Norwood House, Osborne House, Polden Court, The Quads, Westwood, and Woodland Court. Norwood House’s 110 rooms are designed like parade towers. Wessex House is an office tower.
Canal Wharf, Carpenter House, Clevelands Building, John Wood Building and John Wood Court, Pulteney Court, and Thornbank Gardens are university-owned in Bath.
An Innovation Centre provides work space, practical help, and information to local entrepreneurs.
2017 saw new buildings. The Virgil Building, a former police station, has professional, counselling, and careers services, Joblink, and a skills centre. The school opened a London centre at 83 Pall Mall to engage with business, politics, and alumni.
Royal United Hospital Bath
A significant acute-care facility, known as the Royal United Hospital (RUH), can be found in the Weston neighbourhood of Bath, England. This neighbourhood is roughly 2.4 kilometres (1.5 miles) west of the city centre. The hospital features 565 patient beds and covers a land area of 52 acres. It is the primary trauma and emergency care facility in the region, and the field of play at the adjacent Lansdown Cricket Club serves as a landing pad for helicopters. The Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust is in charge of the hospital’s day-to-day operations.
The Bath Casualty Hospital, which opened its doors in 1788, and the Bath City Dispensary and Infirmary, which opened its doors in 1792, came together to form what is now known as the Royal United Hospital. As a direct result of the severe injuries that were occurring among the construction workers in the city at the time, the Casualty Hospital was established. These workers were constructing new buildings. The Bath Pauper Scheme, a charity that was established in 1747 to offer medical treatment for needy people in the city of Bath, was the ancestor of both the Dispensary and the Infirmary.
As the Bath United Hospital, the joint establishment first opened its doors in 1826 in a facility on Beau Street that had been constructed by John Pinch the elder.
 In 1864, on the occasion of the opening of a new wing that was to be called the Albert Wing in honour of the lately decedent Prince Consort, Queen Victoria bestowed upon it the title of “Royal.”
The House of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
In 1816, Mary Shelley wrote most of Frankenstein while she was living in Bath. It was the first science fiction book ever written.
Mary Shelley’s House of Frankenstein is an award-winning, immersive, multi-sensory attraction that spans four floors and tells the story of Shelley’s strange life and the lasting legacy of her famous creation.
Bursting with unusual artefacts, ominous soundtracks, bespoke smells and special effects, they also present an 8ft animatronic creature, authentically reproduced for the first time exactly as Mary Shelley described.
The House also has two rooms about Frankenstein in pop culture, a small room for watching movies, an Escape Room with a Frankenstein theme, and, for those who are brave enough, a scary walkthrough in the basement.